Marrying After a Divorce

A few [easy] extra steps....

If you have been married previously, you are required to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for your marriage licence. This can either be the original, or a court-certified copy of one of three documents:

  • the final decree
  • the final judgement
  • a certificate of divorce

If the divorce/previous marriage was out-of-country (aka NOT in Canada), the process will take a little longer (up to 4 weeks). The government needs to validate certain documents that prove you are no longer married.

You will need to send ALL of the following documents to Service Ontario:

  • marriage licence application form: completed and signed
  • statement of sole responsibility (for each divorce): signed by both people who are planning to get married + a witness
  • legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. IF the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy + an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

It's also notes on the Service Ontario website that completed Foreign Divorce Authorizations are typically sent to applicants by courier.  It is important that your full mailing address including suite/unit/apartment and buzzer number is included on the marriage licence application form, or the courier package cannot be delivered and will be returned to Service Ontario.

Pretty simple, right? Now... go and start the process so you can get married (again) already!!



Check out this link for more information on obtaining your marriage licence in Ontario. 

Surprise Weddings | Proposals | Elopements | Pop-Up Weddings